What is Amaranth?
Amaranth grain is an ancient grain made up of over sixty different types of seeds. It was once a staple part of the ancient Inca and Mayan civilisation’s diet. While not classified as a cereal, amaranth shares much of the characteristics of cereals and it can be used in similar ways to cereals in a variety of dishes.
It is relatively simple to prepare and is best cooked when amaranth seeds have been sprouted. Sprouting is done by soaking the Amaranth seeds in water and allowing them to germinate over a period of between one and three days. Cooked amaranth can be used in a variety of ways including
- Pasta, rice or couscous dishes
- As an additive to smoothies
- In soups or stews as a thickener
- As an ingredient in breakfast cereal
It has a slightly nutty, earthy flavour.
What are the benefits of Amaranth?
Amaranth has many health benefits including
- Packed full of nutrition, particularly fibre and protein but also magnesium, iron, phosphorus and manganese
- Contains high levels of antioxidants which are critical in guarding against cell damage caused by free radicals in the body.
- May act as an anti inflammatory
- Amaranth has been found to have cholesterol lowering capabilities particularly with LDL or “bad cholesterol
- Being rich in fibre and protein may help with healthy weight loss as high protein diets have been connected to a loss of appetite
- Is naturally gluten free making it a perfect choice for gluten intolerant people.
Where to buy Amaranth Australia can rely on?
If you’re looking for an organic gluten free alternative to the cereals that you currently use then Amaranth grain may be your answer. The Buy Organics Online website has a range of organic Amaranth available for you. All of our Amaranth seed lines have been sourced from reputable ethical suppliers within the organic seed and cereal industry. Browse our range of organic Amaranth today and be confident that you are choosing premium quality products.