What are Pepitas – One of nature’s nutritional superstars
For those wondering what are Pepitas, they are the little seeds that originate from the centre of a pumpkin. Otherwise known as pumpkin seeds, they are a tremendous source of essential nutrients and possess the added benefit of tasting delicious. Popular in Mexican cuisine, they are incredibly versatile in how they can be prepared and are a welcome addition to a wide variation of dishes. Possessing a thick edible shell, they are generally roasted prior to consumption.
Not only delicious, pumpkin seeds contain some wonderful benefits for those lucky enough to consume them on a regular basis. These pepitas benefits include:
- They are high in magnesium. This is significant because magnesium has been shown to control blood pressure levels, while also improving overall heart health.
- They are rich in zinc. This is important because zinc boosts immunity to a range of illnesses, enhances sleep, improves mood and can elevate sexual functioning in males.
- They are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids can have a positive effect on reducing inflammation in the body.
- They contain a high amount of tryptophan. This is an amino acid that your body can convert into serotonin and then a sleep hormone known as melatonin. The result is a better night’s sleep, especially if the pumpkin seeds are consumed with two hours of bedtime.
- It contains natural phytoestrogens. Research have shown that the presence of phytoestrogens in food can decrease blood pressure, hot flashes, joint pain and other symptoms of menopause experienced by women.
At Buy Organics Online you can purchase a range of pepitas products that have been supplied by the most trusted organic brands from Australia and around the globe. For this and other incredibly nutritious seeds, grains, beans and lentils, browse around and save today!