Save on Chia Products - Buy Online
Chia seeds were revered by both the Maya and Aztecs for their amazing energy and natural healing powers. In pre-Colombian times, they were a main component of both the Aztec and Maya diets, and played a prominent role in religious ceremonies. One tablespoon of the seeds was considered capable of sustaining a warrior for 24 hours. They originate from the desert plant Salvia Hispanica, a member of the mint family which grows in North, Central and South America. Consumed as early as 3,000 B.C., chia seeds were eaten as a grain, mixed with water, ground into flour, mixed into medicines, and pressed for omega-3 oil. This extraordinary tiny “king” of superfoods, offers a complete nutritional profile of Omega-3s, balanced dietary fiber, complete protein, antioxidants and minerals and carries an amazing array of health benefits.
What benefits do chia seeds have?
- Contain Omega-3 Fatty acids (compiled of 60% Omega-3s).
- Provide fiber beneficial for reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol, and maintaining a healthy gut.
- Provide calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and manganese.
- Provide antioxidants which ward off free radicals.
- Contain anti-cancer properties.
- Help lower food cravings in between meals.
- Hydrate the body.
- Can be used as an egg replacer (mix 1 TB chia seed with 3 TB water, let gel and can substitute for 1 egg).
- Has been shown to lower triglyceride levels.
- Can help regulate blood sugar.
Do chia seeds help you lose weight?
As chia seeds are naturally filling and have a high fibre content they help to limit overeating and as such can assist with weight loss. Amazingly, two tablespoons of chia seeds contain almost forty percent of your daily fibre requirements. There is a lot of documented research that shows high fibre diets can be a key factor in assisting weight loss.
How do you eat chia seeds?
This superfood is often available as both white chia seeds and black chia seeds and can be incorporated in to your diet in a myriad of ways. The best ways to use Chia Seeds Australia are:
- Sprinkled onto cereal, yoghurt, desserts or added to your favourite juice or smoothie.
- In baked goods for that extra nutritional punch
- In soups and puddings as a thickener
- As a snack in trail mix
- In salads, stirfries and casseroles
- Really, added to almost anything!!
Despite its versatility and obvious nutritional value there are some warnings about eating unsoaked chia seeds.
Why are Chia seeds bad for you?
Dry chia seeds have the potential to absorb 12 times their weight in liquid - this can cause them to swell up. It is best to soak chia seeds for about 10 minutes before adding them to your recipes to ensure that this swelling does not occur in your throat and become a choking hazard.
Too much of a good thing can be bad for you and eating chia seeds is no different. If you overeat chia seeds you may find that you have some gastrointestinal issues.
Your decision to buy chia seeds means that you are adding one of the most versatile and nutritious foods on the planet, to your pantry! Here at Buy Organics Online, we offer a great selection of organic chia seeds Australia products with brands including, Power Superfoods and EM Superfoods.