What is flaxseed meal?
Flaxseed meal is ground flaxseed. Flaxseed is a nutrition powerhouse containing 7.8 grams of fibre per ounce. However, it is difficult to digest. Grinding flaxseed into meal keeps all the fibre and nutrition of flaxseed but is more easily digested.
Flaxseed is a product of the ancient crop, flax, which was grown in Egypt and Asia. It has been used for centuries and has a prominent role in Ayurvedic medicine.
Flaxseed meal, otherwise known as ground or milled flaxseeds, is rich in fibre, omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Gluten-free and low in carbohydrates, this product is a great breakfast choice for those looking for high nutritional content to fuel them for the day ahead. It contains a lovely nutty flavour and provides many health and nutritional benefits to those individuals who regularly consume it.
What is the difference between flaxseed powder and flaxseed meal?
There is very little difference between the terms flaxseed meal and flaxseed powder. For all intents and purposes, the two terms appear to be interchangeable.
What are the key benefits of flaxseed meal?
If you are wondering what are the benefits of flaxseed meal, there are several key benefits that consumption of flaxseed meal can provide. These benefits include:
- It is high in fibre. Flaxseed possesses a ridiculously high level of soluble and insoluble fibre. Adding fibre to your diet will help to keep you feeling full. It will also help to reduce the chances of contracting heart disease and cancers associated with digestion. It will also alleviate constipation. When adding flaxseed to your diet, it is best to start with minimal amounts (say a half a teaspoon initially) to avoid any discomfort with diarrhea.
- It is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Foods that contain a high level of omega-3 fatty acids help to keep the functioning of nerves, cells and membranes in balance.
- It is a gluten-free product.
- Contains lignans that demonstrate antioxidant activity that helps to promote health and fight disease.
- May help to reduce blood sugar levels when taken regularly, however, studies in this area have shown conflicting results.
- Helps reduce high blood pressure.
- Thanks to the high level of fibre and healthy fats that flaxseed meal contains, it has the added benefit of leaving you feeling fuller for longer.
How to use flaxseed meal?
All that goodness is waiting to be tapped into but the question is how to get the full benefit of flaxseed in a normal diet.
Adding flaxseed meal into your daily diet is relatively easy. The fact that flaxseed meal has the capacity to withstand intense heat makes it possible to add to both sweet and savoury dishes. The nutty flavour of flaxseed meal adds lots of interest to breakfast cereal. It can also be sprinkled over dishes as varied as fruit salads and mac and cheese. It also makes a worthy substitute for breadcrumbs.
Three easy ways to use flaxseed meal are:
- Incorporate flax meal into your baking. You can swap out several ingredients for flax meal. Some easy substitutes are-: replacing half cup of flour with flaxseed meal, substituting a tablespoon of flax and there tablespoons of water for an egg or swapping three tablespoons of flaxseed meal for a tablespoon of margarine, oil or butter
- Add to smoothies
- Mix into breakfast dishes like yoghurt and grain dishes like oatmeal
- Add to homemade granola
Where to buy flaxseed meal Australia?
If you are looking for where to buy ground flaxseed, there is no better place to go than the Buy Organics Online website. At Buy Organics Online there are a range of flaxseed meal products that have been sourced from only the finest brands from Australia and around the world. With tremendous nutritional benefits, flaxseed meal is a great choice for breakfast and a great way to start the busy day ahead. Don’t delay, purchase from Buy Organics Online today!