null Skip to main content
Himalayan Salt

Himalayan Salt

Himalayan Salt

Himalayan salt is very similar to regular table salt. It is 98% sodium chloride, with the remaining 2% being made up of essential trace minerals. It is distinguished from other table salt products through its pink colouration.

What is Himalayan salt?

Pink Himalayan salt is thought to have formed millions of years ago as ancient seas evaporated. Hand labor and minimal processing are both used to extract the salt from the mines. As it is largely unrefined and additive-free, it is believed to be more natural than conventional table salt.

It is mostly made up of sodium chloride; however, the natural mining process allows it to retain many other minerals that regular table salt does not contain.

It has been estimated that Himalayan salt may contain as many as 84 minerals and trace elements. 

Why is Himalayan salt pink?

But why is Himalayan salt pink? It gets its pink colouration from the combination of the three trace minerals potassium, magnesium, and calcium. These three minerals also explain the contrasting taste between Himalayan salt and regular table salt.

Where does Himalayan salt come from?

As the name suggests, the salt is mined from the Himalayan regions, most notably the Punjab region of Pakistan

The health benefits of Himalayan salt

There are some suggested health benefits that come from using Himalayan salt, particularly instead of regular table salt. These benefits include:

  • It contains less sodium per teaspoon than table salt. Because of the larger crystals that Himalayan salt contains, there is less sodium per serving on average. Where excess sodium is present, blood pressure increases, which puts extra pressure on the heart and can cause significant health issues.

  • It contains more natural ingredients than table salt. While table salt is usually mixed with anticaking agents such as magnesium carbonate, Himalayan salt is far less processed and generally free of additives.

  • It can help you hydrate more effectively. Research has shown that adding a sprinkling of Himalayan salt to drinks and meals can help avoid dehydration.

  • It can improve respiratory ailments. Because salt contain anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it can loosen excessive mucus from the lungs while removing pathogens from the air, creating an environment that is easier to breath in.

In Australia, we have seen a spike in demand for Celtic salt which has some helpful articles written to help you compare this as a viable alternative.

How to use Himalayan salt

Himalayan salt can be used for both  dietary and non-dietary purposes

Eating and cooking with Himalayan Salt

Himalayan salt can be used pretty much the same way you would use regular salt to cook or eat with. It goes well with sauces and marinades or can be added to food according to taste.

There are some instances of Himalayan salt being used as a cooking surface. It is possible to purchase large blocks of salt and use them to grill, sear meats, and cook other foods. This process gives the food an added salty flavour.

Non-Dietary Uses of Pink Himalayan Salt

The salt is an ingredient in some bath salts. Bath salts are said to offer many therapeutic benefits, including improving skin conditions and soothing sore muscles.

The salt is also often used to make salt lamps. These devices are said to help cleanse and purify the air.

Himalayan salt, Australia

Buy Organics Online is the place to be if your looking to buy Himalayan salt in Australia. With a great range of salt products that have been supplied by only the most trusted companies from Australia and around the world, there really is no reason not to replace your regular table salt with that of the pink variety. Don’t delay; purchase today from Buy Organics Online and save!

Read More