What is vegetable glycerin
Vegetable glycerin (sometimes referred to as vegetable glycerine or glycerol)is a clear sugar alcohol. The odorless liquid is obtained from plant oils. Triglyceride rich fats such as soy, palm oil or coconut oil are heated with a strong alkali to make vegetable glycerin. This process causes the glycerin to separate from the fatty acids and mix with water to form a sweet tasting odourless syrup. Organic vegetable glycerin uses vegetable products that have been grown and harvested without the use or intrusion of chemicals, gmo substances or pesticides. Certified organic vegetable glycerin in Australia has been certified by one of several bodies as meeting the AS 6000 standard for organic products Glycerin is a popular ingredient in cosmetic products,hair care products and toothpaste as well as being widely used in the food industry. There are a variety of uses for vegetable glycerin in the home.
Benefits of using natural vegetable glycerin.
From a cooking perspective, glycerin’s sweet taste can be used to offset the bitter flavor of some herbs when used as abaking supply. It is commonly used as an alcohol substitute and an artificial sweetener that adds flavor while not causing blood sugar levels to rise. It can also be used in the baking process to maintain moisture content and to facilitate fusion between water and oil based ingredients.
Glycerin can also be used to prevent some foods like yoghurt from freezing.
Perhaps one of the most popular uses of natural glycerin is in the personal care area. Glycerol works well as a skin cleansing agent. Applying it can help to soften skin. For this reason it is often used to make home made clear soaps and facial creams. It has also been known to make effective hair shampoo and conditioner when mixed with aloe vera.
Glycerol is used in many commercially available skin care products as when it is applied topically can deliver significant benefits to the skin including:
Reduces the effects of ageing by drawing moisture towards the skin's surfaceand smoothing out wrinkles. Studies have shown that regular application of glycerol actually helps to slow the effects of ageing by guiding young cells to close to the skin's surface helping to reinforce the skin's protective barrier.
Glycerol is effective in fighting acne. As it is not an oil, it does not clog skin pores and unlike some acne treatments is not harsh on the skin and will not cause irritation and redness.
Glycerol is used in over 120 baby products and well over 15000 cosmetic products giving a clear indication of how highly regarded it is as a safe personal care product compared to many other body care products and cosmetics that actually clog pores cause skin dryness and irritation.
This natural emollient works as a gentle non abrasive exfoliant making it the perfect choice for people looking to rid themselves of dry skin - acne sufferers in particular can really benefit from the use and regular topical application of glycerol
Glycerol can repair and heal damaged skin and is particularly useful in helping treat conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It actually improves skin function and will speed up the healing process.
Acts as a strong moisturizing agent promoting overall skin care.
When combined with other products, glycerol acts as a preserving agent that ensures a long shelf life for any cosmetic product containing glycerol. This is because it has strong antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
How to use glycerol in herbal remedies, toners and other applications?
When combined with other natural products, organic glycerin can be used to make a number of luxurious skin treatments. Several recipes appear below:
- To make a pleasant smelling facial cleanser combine 4 tablespoons of raw honey with 2 tablespoons of pure vegetable glycerin, half a cup of brewed green tea and about 10 drops of a combination of the following essential oils - lemon, patchouli and geranium. Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients using a blender then store the cleanser in a dark colored bottle (preferably with a pump action)
- For a smooth body lotion suitable for sensitive skin, place 140 grams of shea butter in a heat safe container then put it in a double boiler. Heat the shea butter until it is melted then add two tablespoons of fractionated coconut carrier oil and one tablespoon of jojoba carrier oil then thoroughly stir the contents together. Next place the mixture into the freezer for ten minutes allowing enough time for a crust to form. Remove the mixture from the freezer then use an electric beater to whip it while slowly drizzling vegetable glycerol into it. The mixture should be whipped until it becomes darker (opaque) in appearance and its consistency stiffens. Slowly add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (1/4 tbsp at a time) to the blend and whip the mixture each time after adding.Then add a quarter teaspoon of vitamin e-liquid followed by around six drops of your preferred essential oil - some that work well include frankincense, lavender and cedarwood - these will help to enhance the restorative properties of the formulation. The outstanding moisturizer can be used immediately and has a shelf life of between 4 and six months
- Non-comedogenic acne serums that are reputed to reduce the incidence of acne blooms overnight can be made by combining half a tablespoon of vegetable glycerol with an equal measure of orange blossom water and four drops of Tea tree oil. Apply this mixture to the desired area and leave it on overnight. Rinse thoroughly in the morning.
- To tackle blackheads you can make a homemade paste using two tablespoons of pure vegetable glycerin. Simply add one tablespoon of earth clay and 4 tablespoons of almond powder and mix thoroughly. Apply to affected areas and rinse off after the the paste has dried
Glycerin can also be used to make many different household chores that bit easier. Glycerin can be used for purposes varying from greasing cupcake pans to preventing hydraulic jacks from freezing.
Where to buy vegetable glycerin in Australia?
If you’ve been searching for food grade vegetable glycerin, you can trust Buy Organics Online to provide you with a selection of highest quality natural vegetable glycerin products that have been sourced from the most trusted suppliers within the business. If you’ve been looking for an all purpose product that can help with your cooking, act as a skin cleanser and perform a range of household functions, then vegetable glycerin would make a great addition to your home. Buy Organics Online has a range of vegetable glycerin products to suit your needs - don’t delay order your supply today.
1. Glycerol — Just a Moisturizer? Biological and Biophysical Effects
2 Host-microbiome interactions and recent progress into understanding the biology of acne vulgaris
3 Double-Blind Study Comparing the Effect of Glycerin and Urea on Dry, Eczematous Skin in Atopic Patients