What is polenta
So precisely what is polenta and what is polenta made from? Originating in Italy and long used in a variety of Italian dishes, it is made from yellow corn that has been grounded into cornmeal. Having been ground, the cornmeal is boiled in water or milk. Having been cooked it has a consistency that has been likened to that of porridge. Great as a flour alternative!
Is polenta healthy?
There are some benefits to consumption that proves that yes, polenta is healthy. These benefits include:
- It is a great source of fiber and protein. The high level of protein and fibre in polenta helps you feel full. This promotes better digestion and eliminates the urge for unhealthy snacking.
- It is gluten-free. For those with wheat allergies and those suffering from celiac disease, this product is a great option because it does not contain wheat, rye or barley.
- It promotes kidney health. Because of the presence of vitamin A, consumption of polenta can improve the functioning of the kidneys, lungs and heart.
- It is low in fat. Naturally low in fat, this product can massively reduce the amount of saturated fat that a person consumes as part of their daily calorie intake.
- It can improve eye health. Because of the presence of carotenoids, this product is effective at reducing the risk of certain diseases, namely those relating to the eye.
- It contains iron, magnesium and zinc. The presence of these essential minerals can improve overall health and are a key component of a healthy diet.
Cooking with polenta
When cooking with polenta, aspiring home cooks have a range of options. It can be eaten as a side at brunch, used in place of pizza dough, used to make chips, or in a main course filling such as a lasagna. In addition, one of the most common uses is as a flour substitute when making breads and other baked goods.
At Buy Organics Online there is a range of polenta products that have been sourced from the most trusted manufacturers from Australia and around the globe. Purchase this, and other great flours & meals products, from Buy Organics Online today!